This performance by the Nicholas Brothers in Stormy Weather is applauded by many to be the best dance number on film. I don’t need to contribute to the high praise it receives. Instead I have included a spreadsheet breaking down the shot changes - I wanted to see if they cheat… but it seems that pretty much every feat is genuine - the only one I had to re-watch a lot is the piano jump… it looks like it’s too far but they seem to really be departing from atop the piano.
Relating to the previous clip, apparently jumping into splits on staircases is a thing that recurs.
This week’s Shorty George’s After School Special comes from the blog OMG Rhythm, which you should TOTALLY be following, I mean, look at the freaking spreadsheet OMG.
- 0:14: Let’s have a Cab Calloway floppy hair appreciation moment.
- 0:28: These saxophonists are definitely my favorite for reasons that will become clear to you later.
- 0:41: Hahahaha hat trumpet mutes. How effective do you think they are? Relatedly, I once blew a friend’s mind by introducing to him the concept of the plunger mute.
- 0:50: Cinematography! Look at the shadows of the musicians! I wonder if Fantasia drew inspiration from that.
- 1:32: Our heroes appear!
- 1:36: Check out the flowers on the table! They almost get kicked off.
- 1:50: I just watch this with my mouth hanging open. Every time.
- 2:04: Keep an eye on the saxophone guy on the right. Man oh man, he is so worried about getting kicked in the head.
- 2:18: Saxophone knows what almost happened to those flowers.
- 2:31: Don’t worry saxophone guy! They’re almost doing something somewhere else. Also, the AIR that they’re getting on these jumps. WHAT IS EVEN HAPPENING.
- 2:46: HOW IS THAT KIND OF FLEXIBILITY AND STRENGTH EVEN POSSIBLE??!!?Q
- 2:51: Call and response using tap dance as an accompanying instrument? YES PLEASE.
- 3:11: The music tells us something big is coming…
- 3:18: OH SHIT IT’S STAIRS
- 3:29: WHAT IS REALITY
This performance should literally be shot into space to demonstrate what humans are capable of because WHAT OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGMGOKGKSHGKJSNDKVMNX><HGKD the end
Still the best.